St. Paul’s Anglican Church is similar in style, on a smaller scale, to the first Anglican church in the Diocese of Calgary, which has long since disappeared.
This church does not possess a unique architectural style, however, some features distinguish it from churches typical of its time – particularly the steep, full-pitched roof and cruciform-shaped plan. The belfry contains a bell that was housed in St. Andrew, the Apostle church in Thelveton, England, for 200 years prior to being place in St. Paul’s.
St. Paul’s Anglican Church is a one-storey building situated on roughly 0.4 hectares of land in Calgary’s historic Midnapore district.
Erected in 1885, the church embodies the Carpenter Gothic architectural style in its wood construction, steeply pitched roof, pointed arch windows, separate entry porch and attached sanctuary.
The church has remained essentially unaltered since the turn of the 20th century with the notable exception that the original steeple of the church was removed by a group of parishioners in the 1940’s due to rotting wood and danger of its collapse. The replacement steeple, however, was not built according to the original design.
In addition, in 1987 the Church was lifted off its foundations in order to replace the dirt basement with a concrete one, providing a more stable foundation for the preservation of the building. It has now been approved by Alberta Culture to restore the original architectural integrity of the Church through the replacement of the steeple with one keeping to the design of the original.
The character-defining elements of St. Paul’s Anglican Church include such features as:
- Mass, form, scale, and style
- Wood construction
- Steeply pitched, cedar-shingled roof with central engaged belfry and bell from Thelveton, England
- Fenestration pattern and style, including pointed arch windows
- Early stained glass windows, including window commemorating members of the congregation who died in World War 1
- Separate entry porch and attached sanctuary
- Interior horizontal tongue-and-groove wood siding
- Original tongue-and-groove flooring
- Original interior double entry doors
- Oak communion table, reredos, and lectern
- Original artifacts, including baptismal font
- Spatial relationship to St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church and Lacombe Home
- Associated cemetery, including spatial relationship to church, arrangement and nature of memorial markers